We are making this happen in large part to Will’s ability to work remotely. Today was back to work. It definitely changed the dynamics and was really nerve wracking to embark on a city alone with my five kids. First stop was this enormous market. At one point I told the kids to please cut me a break because it was really hard to do things like order cheese or ask about allergies when neither one spoke the others language. Later at playground beer time, George was helping translate and talk with an Italian family for his little sisters. It was so wonderful to watch as the four younger ones all just started playing with friends and no one knew what the other was saying. Anyway, after George attempted to communicate he came over to me and said “Mommy, I had no idea what you were talking about when you told us this morning that you were nervous talking because it was really hard. I get it now. I am sweating!” Those moments of empathy and understanding are one of the many take aways I hope my kids retain from this adventure.
We also played in fountains, and ate gelato. While Jane ran around arms wide dodging the fountain today, she yelled “this is the best day ever!Also had family creative time when we got back. The older two complained at first but got into it. I will call the day a success!
(Having a hard time with uploading pictures at the moment)
No comments:
Post a Comment